Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Model 19 crossovers under way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Model 19 crossovers under way

    Since it's a royal PIA to post pics here I posted them along with a running progress report over on AK.
    Z19 Crossover | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

    It starts on page 17 at post number 338

    I have to give credit to our member Petro for the idea to build this turret style. We have been going back and forth with designs over the last few weeks for the final layout.
    The last parts that will be added is the caps. This way they come off easy and I can remove them and try other types of caps very easily. All the wiring will be below the caps, secured by nuts so when the caps are removed nothing else is disturbed. Also allows easy testing of bypass caps.
    I'll post more pics over there as I progress.

    BillWojo

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member xinu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2017
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 crossovers under way

    Looks like your off to a good start over there. Will be interested to see your progress and when you hear the results.

    I'm still waiting for the remaining parts to arrive so I can complete the layout of the 878B Santiago crossovers I'm building. Hope it's worth the effort. I'll try to post some pics on a related thread.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 crossovers under way

    Bill, I checked out your pics on AK. Looks like a great idea the way you are mounting the components. Once you figure out what caps you like you could always permanently solder everything in place. I'll be following your progress

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 crossovers under way

    With brass screws and nuts and tinned copper terminals I think they will be fine. Been working fine in heavy industrial applications for a century now.
    For the crossover wiring I'm using 12GA solid for the LF side and 14GA solid for the HF side. A nod to our own MrLowOhms, he would like that. And NO, not going to run double wires for all my connections. LOL
    All wires are soldered into the terminal connections, I was originally going to use my Amphenol crimpers for a cold weld joint but the use of a lot of flag terminals nixed that idea. Not spending 500 bucks or more for one specialty crimping tool.
    It's been a 3D puzzle getting all the wires into place neatly but I'm down to just a few left. After that I need to add the inductors and the caps.
    I'll temporarily mount the L-pads to some kind of bracket and just put the whole mess on top of my AS101's to play around with them.
    Hoping to find some time this weekend to work on it some more.

    BillWojo

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member Petro's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2016
    Location
    Southern new jersey
    Posts
    70
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 crossovers under way

    Bill Looks great!!! I'm right behind you also. Now you got me thinking of solid wire
    Great job so far!!!

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member xinu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2017
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 crossovers under way

    Hi Bill - making good headway by the looks of it.

    I peeked at the Z19 network related to your posts over on AK. Lots of stuff going on the HF side of the x-over. Much more complex than the rather simple HF side of the crossover I?m wiring up for my Santiagos.

    Do you have a link you can point me at for a basic description on what the Z19 HF circuit is doing? Is LP1 some form of notch filter and LP2 looks to be wired up to do more than just wide attenuation?

    Thanks,

    Greg

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 crossovers under way

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    With brass screws and nuts and tinned copper terminals I think they will be fine. Been working fine in heavy industrial applications for a century now.
    For the crossover wiring I'm using 12GA solid for the LF side and 14GA solid for the HF side. A nod to our own MrLowOhms, he would like that. And NO, not going to run double wires for all my connections. LOL
    All wires are soldered into the terminal connections, I was originally going to use my Amphenol crimpers for a cold weld joint but the use of a lot of flag terminals nixed that idea. Not spending 500 bucks or more for one specialty crimping tool.
    It's been a 3D puzzle getting all the wires into place neatly but I'm down to just a few left. After that I need to add the inductors and the caps.
    I'll temporarily mount the L-pads to some kind of bracket and just put the whole mess on top of my AS101's to play around with them.
    Hoping to find some time this weekend to work on it some more.

    BillWojo
    Hi Bill,

    I have not been able to call up your photos, but I read above my name being mentioned.

    I would suggest you do NOT use solid wire, 12 AWG and 14 AWG.

    Perhaps I can help you.

    The 12 and 14 AWG wire, that we use these days is Mil Spec, copper multi-stranded, with a highest quality SILVER coating, on each strand, in a TEFLON jacket . Lovely to work with. The number is m22759/11 12 and m22759/11 14. Its the BEST bang-for-the dollar wiring I am aware of, and we have tried " cost no object wiring " like $18,000 a pair speaker cables", and been into audio wire with Bob Fulton, since 1978..

    You can go on eBay and get some easily, but if you would like, contact me at [email protected] and I will immediately make available colors and lengths you need for the two crossovers ( ONLY), at my cost, typically $0.55 a foot for 12 AWG and $0.45. a foot for 14 AWG

    Solid, in those gauges, is a NO NO. . If you have it in there, RIP it out, replace it with this.

    I only have BLUE in 14 AWG. I have orange, yellow, and white in 12 AWG. I will be willing to supply you with just enough to do the two crossovers, and THAT is it !!

    Do use the same wire-type, which YOU will have to source, on eBay, smartly - over time, (1) amp to crossover, and (2) crossover to driver terminals. It costs virtually " nothing " to make the runs Fulton lengths, 57 1/'8th inch, and or multiples or divisors of that length.

    My FAVORITE crossover to driver configuration is two 12 AWG to EACH woofer polarity, 57 1/8th, ( which equals 9 AWG, delicious sounding ) and one 14 AWG ( better bandwidth ), 57 1/8th, to the compression driver, each polarity.

    On the amp-to-speaker wiring, if its three Fulton lengths or less, use doubled-up and lightly twisted 12 AWG for each polarity. If over 14.28 feet, use three 12 AWG for each polarity. This Mil Spec wire is lovely to work with, and, as I said, the very highest performance-per-dollar, of ANYTHING "I" know of. Contact me by email, and / or we can exchange phone numbers, so its an easy and productive multi-dimensional interchange.

    Regarding crossover caps, there is ONE brand, in two values, that I find is a MUST-have, if you want really great sound. Nothing in audio will compare to their performance, and, after A-Bing them against all I had, I feel its a waste of one's time, and life, NOT to include these in the ALTEC crossover, as part of a cap bundle.

    Its the DynamiCap 4.0 "E" and / or their 10.0 "E", either value, but ONLY those values !! I modify their leads with M22759/11 12 and 14. Percy has these caps, and they are now about $65 and maybe $87 each, but - they are easily worth $200 each.

    AS I say, NOTHING compares to these two, in THOSE values, in ALL of audio. It does WONDERS for my ALTEC speaker. If you want to hear an ALTEC as good as possible, either of these values and brand are MUST-haves !!

    I use four 4.0s for my stereo DIY VOTT A7-800 crossovers. WOW !!

    ( Actually, I use FIVE caps in each cap position, as a "bundle" to make up the "C" in each position. No one cap does it all, optimally. ) Those DynamiCap 4.0s, I LOVE having in my audio system. In my amps too.

    Contact me. Best wishes.

    Jeff Medwin......Low Ohms.
    Last edited by LowOhms; January 26th, 2017 at 01:02 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 crossovers under way

    Hi Jeff, thanks for your offer but what I'm using is already way over kill for this application. 12Ga solid copper is rated at 41A in a chassis, has a loss of only 5.2 ohms/Km. 14Ga solid copper is rated at 32A in a chassis, has a loss of 8.3 ohms/Km.
    I'm pushing these speakers with a set of Mac MC40 mono blocks, probably using no more than a few watts. Insulation rating is 600V so the 12Ga wire is capable of delivering 24,600 Watts, the 14Ga wire is capable of delivering 19,200 Watts.
    Even if my calculations are off by a wide margin, I have designed in a ton of over kill.
    Look at the stock Altec crossover wiring for comparison, nobody has ever claimed that the stock wiring is deficient. Worn out caps, yes, but not the wiring.

    BillWojo

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.